An issue that every car owner will need to deal with eventually is a dead key fob battery. With how common keyless entry and push button start have become on modern cars this is something that will come up every couple of years.
If your Nissan key fob battery is dead you can still enter and drive your car by doing the following.
What Kind of Battery does a Nissan Key Fob Use
Almost every Nissan key fob uses a CR2032 battery. Your local Nissan Parts department will have them but they can also easily be purchased from many online retailers.
How to Start Your Car with a Dead Nissan Key Fob
- Flip your key for over and locate a small latch.
- Push on the latch and remove the physical key from the fob.
- Insert the key into the door handle and turn it to unlock the door.
Step 4 Once inside the car place the key fob in the key fob port and start the car normally. If your key fob does not have a port; simply hold the fob to the start button and you will be able to start the car.
How to Replace a Nissan Key Fob Battery
To actually replace the key fob battery you will need to follow the steps below
- Turn the key over and locate the release latch
- Using the latch, remove the physical key from the fob.
- Firmly but gently pull apart the two halves of the key fob. You may need to pry them apart with something thin such as a credit card.
- Pull the casing apart from the outer shell to reveal the battery. Make note of which way it is facing so you can be certain that you’ve installed the new battery the correct way.
- Once the new battery is in place reassemble the key fob by working backwards through the above steps.
If the key fob is not working after replacing the battery the most likely reason is that the battery was put in upside down. Take the fob apart again and flip the battery over to be certain.